Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Brass Tacks

It's getting serious now. Last Friday I went to Quest Outdoors and bought my Osprey Aura backpack and an ultralight sleeping bag. I put in my high tech quick-dry shirts and one of my quick-dry, zip-off pants, some coolmax socks and sundry other things that I will itemize at a later date. It weighs seven and a half pounds so far. I still need to put in raingear, some lightweight sandals, my Brierley guide, and toiletries. (I am determined not to pack any cosmetics--ugh!) So, I think I am doing quite well. I am also researching the possibility of getting a Blackberry cellphone upgrade so I can text home once in a while, take some good photos, listen to some music, and use it to blog on the road without breaking the bank.

My friend, Tuula, has given me some Spanish lessons, and I have been refreshing my French. A friend who is a UPS pilot has offered to get me a stand-by ticket to Paris and back. My plan is to fly from Baltimore/D.C. to Paris in mid-May, take the TGV train from Paris to Bayonne, and then a local train to St. Jean Pied de Port to begin my trek.

Meanwhile, I've signed up for several walks in Louisville. A 5K, a 10K, a 10-miler, and the Derby mini-marathon. I'll take my backpack on all of those and see how I fare. Six miles is easy for me now, and I've done ten miles, so I think I'm ready. I am excited!

1 comment:

  1. How nice to read that you are 'on track' Oran Mor!! Planning is almost as much fun as going! If you'd like a tip - take a digital scale with you when you go shopping and weigh everything you buy! If one pair of socks is lighter, or one shirt is lighter than another, buy the lightweight one.
    If you would like my summer back pack list let me know.
    abrazo,
    Sil

    ReplyDelete